Thursday, October 22, 2015

Performance Anxiety




It's been about three weeks since I've swung a leg over the red pony's back and months since I've ridden him on my own property.  Now why, when my pony is right outside my back door, would I not ride him at home?  Because he's been a freaking naughty brat every time I've ridden him at home for months.

He's also stealth naughty.  The High Queen would always send me a pre-naughtiness memo before actual naughty behavior ensued.  Her neck would stretch up, ears darting forward, llama impressions began and THEN she would grab the bit and try to run off with me.

Fox is a whole different box of bad pony.  He just does random naughty things, a buck here, shying there, grabbing the bit and running off.  At least previously he has.  Off the property (with one notable exception being the farm just down the road) Fox is 98% angel and 2% demon pony.  On the farm the percentages are totally reversed.

Or they were.  Yesterday I managed to get home with plenty of time to spare. I ran in to the house, flinging work stuff and throwing off work clothes as fast as possible so I could get tacked up and ride before I lost the daylight.

I had a trunkful of anxiety when I finally swung in to the saddle.  Which was made harder by the fact that I had two horse cookies in my breeches pocket. And Fox knew it. So he kept trying twist in circles to nudge my pockets as I kept spinning around the mounting block trying to get in the saddle.  Damn you HORSE COOKIES!

But I was finally able to swing up. My intention was to keep it low key, walking only, I know I'm a chicken, but I really needed a good ride more than I needed a productive one.  But Fox was perfect.  He never felt, even for an instant that he had any naughty thoughts going on.  I jabbered like a lemur the whole time trying to distract myself from the possibility of Fox managing to ditch me out of the saddle.  It didn't happen.  We even did several dressage-y trot circles.  Earlier I had set-up some baby cross rails in some far flung hope of hopping over them but I felt like that would be pushing my luck way to far.

I got what I wanted a nice, easy ride on a happy pony which made me one happy, happy girl!

Keep it between the flags everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment