Friday, January 26, 2024

When You Take the Crazy Leap

 







Sometimes taking the crazy leap doesn't end like you expect it to.  Your daughter who is hell on wheels for every other sport is very timid when it comes to riding. So the sensitive pony you bought doesn't end up being the right fit and now you have to start marketing her for sale. The pony not the child. 

Yet there are other jumps that end up taking you places you didn't envision and they feel like you were always meant to take that path. Years ago when my heart was hurting over my mare who had been diagnosed with cancer, I had a knee jerk reaction and brought home an OTTB who seemed perfect and for awhile he was. I really did love Fox but ultimately he was not the right fit for me so I sent him off to new adventures. 

Then came my giant golden retriever of a mare who absolutely identifies as a gelding. She's big and goofy and I love her more than I thought I'd ever love another horse after my heart horse (a tiny red AQHA mare) left my life. I loved Seneca dearly but she was not my heart horse. I grieved for her but when she left me it didn't tear me apart like losing Lady did.  I'm hoping the growing love I have for Roo will at least equal how I felt for Lady. I hope that we learn to trust each other at the heart deep level that Lady and I did. 

Roo, or searching for a Welsh Section D Cob sent me to Lisa Schultz Brezzina, a fantastic breeder who breeds Section D's and Section D Warmblood crosses under the Castleberry prefix in Indiana.  If you are looking for a well bred, athletic, smart, ridable horse, she is your person.  She sold me Roo and now she is selling me Roo's mom, Reminisce.   

When I knew my daughter's pony wasn't going to be a match and my daughter was going to need several more years of riding saintly lesson horses before she gained the confidence she would need for her own horse I went about looking for a horse that I could play with until Roo is old enough to be ridden consistently.  That's another year away at least.  The problem was I had champagne tastes and a beer budget.  I really wanted something that was already going or at least W/T/C.  Honestly I wanted a fancy Warmblood hunter but there was no way I was going to afford that.  Have you seen the horse market these days?  It's insane!  So I started looking at  OTTB's and Appendix AQHA's, even some paints but nothing I looked at was what I wanted. I wanted lovely movement, with lofty gaits and a sweet personality.  I wanted Roo, just older. 

Which is when Roo's breeder, Lisa offered to let me buy Remmy. I said yes without a second thought.  Remmy is an enormous Belgian Warmblood from the award winning breeding farm BannockBurn.  She has some of the best sporthorse blood in the world and she will be my new riding horse.  I may even breed a foal from her someday because I've always wanted to raise a foal from birth and Remmy has the bloodlines, the atheleticism and the good brain to make a phenominal baby.  I already know she can because Roo shows me everyday.

It will be a couple months before Remmy arrives but I am so very excited! Until the next step, keep it between the flags everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment