Thursday, November 10, 2011

A Hint of Victory

These days with the time change *Glares, we so need to do away with it* I don't get home in time to spend more than 30 minutes or so with the horses. So I have to pick and choose. Do I work with Cowboy on becoming a grown-up riding horse, or do I work with the High Queen on her trailering issues?  I try to switch off days so I can work with both of them a little during the week.

This weekend I won't get to ride at all. I'm going home to visit my family. I am both happy and apprehensive. Basically my family is falling apart due to my dad's deteriorating health. I don't know how I will react to all of this when I am fully immersed in it. Being three hours away I'm detached from all the craziness, being in the middle of it is going to be a little scary. Which is why I'm taking the puppy with me as a buffer and stress reliever.

Back to the horsey-ness.  Yesterday I was going to take the puppy up to Petsmart to get him some food and let him walk around. I think he licked every toy in the place. But I did get him a new harness since Bull Terrier's are notorious for pulling.

But before I went I wanted to sneak in some time playing with Seneca.  She stood in the trailer for a whole fifteen or twenty minutes without getting off!  This is a huge step, since it's usually get on, get off, get on, get off repeatedly.  She also let me touch her, and push on her with the divider. She even moved over a little.  Soo much progress. I am so close to being able to lock her, sooo close. But I will remain patient. I don't want to scare her, I want her to be happy about being in there.

As a side note my trainer T. earned her USDF Bronze Medal this past weekend. She earned it on her Connemara/TB cross Chagall.  Chagall used to be her event horse but she's stepped away from eventing in the past few years and is focusing on dressage.  I've ridden Chagall before and he is super fun to jump. I never worried about being able to get over the fences with him. He's quirky but really great.  So congrats to my trainer on reaching one of her riding goals!


Anyway that is all from the Midnight Hill Farm front.  Keep it between the flags everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment