Saturday, December 14, 2013

Feeding the Fox

I've had Fox since early September and the whole time I've had him I've been trying to fatten him up.   When he was at the rescue they had him on a 16% protein feed.  Even then his ribs were showing a bit high up on his barrel and when I switched him to the feed that I give my other two he lost a bit of weight adjusting.  So operation fatten Fox kicked in to gear.

I adjusted his grain to a full scoop at each feeding, plus as much hay as I could stuff in to him.  In the past when I was trying to keep weight on the High Queen I fed her rice bran and beet pulp.  But doing studies I found that rice bran has a lot of Omega 6 fat which is the bad kind of fat.  And beet pulp while great has to be soaked, which is time consuming.

Anyone who has ever held down a full time job and kept their horses at home knows that time is precious.  So I decided to try a supplement on top of some alfalfa cubes.  The horses have been bundled in blankets for several weeks now due to the cold, the wet, you know actual winter. Which means that I haven't been able to see the fruits of the fattening up labor.  Today though while Fox was busy eating his dinner I half way divested him of his blanket and I have to say there is more fat and less ribs.  YEAH!

Fox still has a little ways to go but it looks like the efforts are working and come spring when training starts in ernest my OTTB with by round and ready to go!


Keep it between the flags everyone.



No comments:

Post a Comment