Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Learning to Live Between the Lines

Can’t believe I’ve left the blog undone for so long.  So let me fill you in on everything that has happened since June.  Well her Majesty, the High Queen tried to kill herself off for the second year in a row.  Last year it was Potomac Horse Fever, this year is was the mystery injury that seriously if it had been any deeper she would be dead.  I found her Majesty not quite right, and her girth line looked weird from a distance so I went out to check on her.  And found, way underneath, where I can’t even imagine how she did it, a massive wound.  So deep I immediately knew it was beyond my skills and called the vet.

Despite the High Queen’s snobbishness she actually is really good about being doctored.  Even with just local anesthetic she stood still as a statue while the vet stitched up the muscle (yes, it was that deep) then the skin.  We left a drain in and I had my marching orders to try and keep her Majesty quiet as possible.  So the boys went out in separate side pastures, and I tried to keep Seneca secured in the run-in-shed. Which worked for exactly three days and then she refused to stay secured.

She’s healed up fine and is back to bossing Cowboy around.  Fox is back to living by himself with nose over the fence privledges.  This because Seneca’s injury was the second nearly life ending injury that has happened when Fox has been in the pasture with other horses.  The first was Cowboy’s infamous skull fracture.   I don’t know if Fox was really involved with Seneca’s injury but I’d rather not take the chance.

My riding has been inconsistent at best.  Life has just been really hectic and I can’t bring myself to ride if I’m the only one home with my daughter.  I keep thinking that if my daughter was napping, and I had a bad accident where I was unconscious who would find her? Who would even know she was in the house?  So I just can’t do it.

And with Superhub’s super awful schedule now I just don’t get to ride a lot anymore. I’m trying to be okay with this. Most of the time it feels like I really don’t have a life anymore.  Or rather I don’t have the life I once did.  From time to time if its not my turn to pick up my daughter from daycare I’ll stop and window shop or stroll through the local tack shop. I get to relive a little bit of the life I used to have.

Don’t get me wrong I love my daughter but I miss my old life or rather parts of my old life.  Retirement from the Navy seems to get further away every year. I chose to add an extra year so that Superhubs could go back to school and dump the retail job.  He’s going to be a Physical Therapy tech which I think is really cool.  We are hoping he can start classes next fall.

So really all my equestrian goals have gone out the window.  I ride when I can but I’ve put showing away for now. What will the new year bring? No idea.

Keep it between the flags everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I hope the New Year brings you and your family wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete