Monday, February 4, 2013

In the Stands

So with my pretty crazy schedule even if Seneca was proven sound, (she appears sound now, but I want the vet to confirm it with xrays)I'm not sure how much I'd be riding. Other than the schedule it's freaking cold out. I hate riding in the cold and I am an ametuer so I don't need to do it.

But this past Sunday which I just happened to have off I went to watch a clinic instead. The next best thing to riding yourself is watching other people do it.  My friend Kate coordinated a clinic with eventer  Jessica Bortner-Harris. I hadn't heard much about her but she events at all the big places and you can always learn something even if its not what you thought you were going to get.

So what did I get out of the clinic? I learned that even my two friends who ride training/prelim have problems and that everyone has a blindspot about their own riding. I fully admit I have huge blindspots where my riding is concerned and I'd love to blame my horse, but bless her she's pretty tolerant of my mistakes.

And I watched as Jessica B-H gave a lesson to prelim/training riders and right after gave a lesson to a middle-aged mother who was just learning to post the trot and wanted to learn to eventually jump. Jessica gave the same excellent instruction to this mother as she did to the advanced riders. It really made me like her even more. Plus she's funny, I love an instructor that can make you laugh.

Maybe if the High Queen is sound I'll get to participate next time. I can dream.

Keep it between the flags everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment