Thursday, January 23, 2014

Snowpocalypse 2014

On the day before the first snow of the year, interspersed between text messages to superhubs about what I was cooking for dinner and me having to stop by Tractor Supply to restock grain and alfalfa cubes, he says "I am building your horse a shed on Monday."  Monday was his next day off work, and that following Tuesday and Wednesday the weather forcast said were going to be more snow and crappy weather. 

I was immediately filled with warmth and felt all melty.  Superhubs may leave his clothes on the bathroom floor, prop his feet on the coffee table, leave crumbs on the counter, and leave every light in the house on but he does know the way to my heart.  You want a hug and heartfelt thanks, you do the dishes before I get home.  You want me to jump your bones you offer to build the one horse in my little herd without a run-in shed a shelter. Oh yeah that man has my number.

When I returned from foraging dinner from the grocery store, and resupplied by Tractor Supply I found my mare out in the side pasture and superhubs in her pasture very obviously building the frame work for a shed off the boy's current shed.  Insert sigh of undying love right there.

I changed clothes, put the groceries away and then headed out to help.  It took us four hours in the cold, then sleet, then snow and darkness to get two walls and the roof on.  It wasn't the best, or the fanciest but it would keep the wind off Seneca.  Except no one told her that.  All she saw when I brought her in was a man eating dark hole that had suddenly appeared in her pasture. I put hay in her new shed, but knowing her as I do I also left some out side the shed.
 

Not only did she refuse to go in that night but in the morning she had ice hanging off her blanket and mane.  My work was on a three hour delay that then turned in to a closure. SNOW DAY!  When I was young and lived on the top of a mountain in West Virginia I didn't know what a snow day was.  A few feet of snow on the ground and they put chains on the bus tires. No big deal.  Then when I was going in to the sixth grade we moved to North Carolina.  A few flurries and the whole state would go nuts.

Before leaving I had laid a trail of hay flakes in to Seneca's shed hoping it would lure her in.  She resisted most of the day but by 1pm she had deigned to step foot in the shed. Yippee! This weekend we are putting the third wall on the shed and more weather proofing for the roof.  She will propably freak at the change and refuse to go in for another day but she will learn to love her new cozy cottage over time.

Along with all the other things that went on I learned something new about Fox.  I had picked up some beet pulp shreds from Tractor Supply intending to give my herd something warm and water infused as a treat and guard against colic. True love of horses is mixing up beet pulp in your guest room so the dogs won't get it and then hauling it out warm and steaming to yoru horses.  Except Fox didn't like it. WTH?  Both Seneca and Cowboy love it, especially warm.  They slurp it up with horsey abandon and lick the buckets clean.

Fox on the other hand took two bites and said "BLECK!, this is icky, no like this Mom."  He went to check out Cowboy's found it lacking and proceeded to murmur at me from the fence until I brought his grain. Cowboy was happy to snarf down his share and Fox's left over.  At which point Seneca had licked her bucket clean and was patiently waiting for her grain.


And to end out the snow adventures an update on my hand.  I got the stitches out a week ago.  Let me just say that people who haven't taken that many stitches out should not try learning on me.  After the first two screams that I am sure made those in the waiting area either cringe or rethink needing to see the Corpsman(Navy medical people somewhere between a paramedic and a physicians assistant)the more experienced Corpsman took over.  He was fantastic I barely felt any of it.  I still have lots of swelling, and I don't have the dexterity or range of motion I want. I'm hoping in a couple more weeks that the swelling will stop and I'll have my hand back completely.

Keep it between the flags everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment